SB 528 After years of work, I was happy to pass SB 528 at the end of the session. This legislation will improve air quality and help protect thousands of people in the Willamette Valley from the health impacts from exposure to field burning smoke. Field burning in the Southern Willamette Valley will be reduced by half in 2009 and eliminated in 2010. A compromise allowing 15,000 acres of burning for identified species and steep terrain areas, mostly in Marion County, was necessary to address the economic arguments of farmers and to garner the votes needed to pass the bill. The bill remains a major accomplishment in balancing the interests of all Oregonians and was only possible with the help of many other legislators, the medical community and other constituents and advocates.
Sign Up for my Newsletter!
Powered by WP Email Capture
Click to View OldNewsletters
- Labeling of Genetically Engineered Fish; especially Salmon – HB 4122
- Raising the Minimum Wage – SB 1532
- Community Solar, Increasing RPS and the End of Coal-Fired Electricity – SB 1547 and SB 1572
- Extending Unemployment Insurance for Locked-Out Workers- HB4086
- Education – Delivering better results for Oregon’s students in 2014 Legislative Session